Over the last several weeks, members of Colorado’s House and Senate have been deliberating on the Safe Access to Protected Health Care package. One of the three bills in this package, SB23-190, will directly impact Alternatives by banning our ability to provide Abortion Pill Reversal (APR) treatment and limiting our advertising. As a valued member of Alternatives, and a supporter of life, we want to equip you with good information about Alternatives related to this proposed legislation.
Abortion Pill Reversal (APR)
Alternatives has a licensed medical care team that has provided the APR protocol since 2016. This medical treatment option uses the natural hormone, progesterone, to counter the effects of medication abortion. From 2016 – 2022, Alternatives had 16 women deliver healthy babies as a result of receiving this life-saving treatment. Banning the provision of APR would make it unprofessional conduct for a physician to prescribe progesterone for APR and restrict women from accessing medical treatment that can possibly save her baby.
Alternatives employs standard marketing practices and abides by all advertising laws in the state of Colorado. As part of our legal right to advertise we use a variety of platforms including our website, social media, audio and video streaming, billboards, bus bench and shelter ads. All our advertising efforts are designed to bring awareness to those who are in need of our resources. The people in our community can then freely choose to seek our services or not.
As we write this article, this legislation has been passed in both the House and the Senate. The bills are currently on the desk of Governor Polis awaiting his signature to sign into law or veto. If this legislation becomes law, we do not know the ramifications at this time, we will keep you updated as details unfold.
We know you join us in this sacred work, so here are a few things you can do to be prepared to advocate for Alternatives wherever you go:
- Pray that Governor Polis will veto this bill.
- Know that our programs and services are provided by a team of licensed medical professionals that operate under Standing Orders and supervision from the Medical Director who is a licensed OB/GYN physician. Alternatives is HIPAA compliant and adheres to all state regulations.
- Pray for the patients, clients, staff and volunteers of Alternatives.
- Encourage your local church to partner with Alternatives.
- Follow us on Instagram and Facebook and share our posts and stories on your social network.
- Talk about the work of Alternatives to your family, friends and coworkers. Share that we provide services to all people at no cost, and that we do not refer for or perform abortions and, therefore, receive no financial gain from a pregnancy decision. Let them know that we treat all people who come to our clinics with dignity and respect.
Your advocacy brings a lifeline of hope to people across our city. Because of you, Alternatives provides free and confidential medical and counseling services to those who depend on us for safe, compassionate, holistic care.
“Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves; ensure justice for those being crushed.” – Proverbs 31:8